Thursday, September 11, 2008

Case of the Mondays on Thursday

Today seemed like such a frustrating day for me. I'm trying to remain as positive as I possibly can about my situation (trying to start a business, buy a house and live happily ever after), but every doorway seems to keep shutting.

I'm not 100 percent sure what my deal is, but nothing seemed to pan out. I'm in a position where I feel I know more about photography than ever before, but no outlet to use it. I'm learning a lot about lighting right now. I'm starting to gain a grasp on what I think is an acceptable level of knowledge, but what good does it do if I'm sitting around taking pictures of cookbooks?

I've always said that one thing somebody can never take away from you is knowledge, but it becomes discouraging with no room to share it.

I tried to contact churches today about doing church directories. It seemed like a good avenue to take. Three people have mentioned doing them to me in the past 2 weeks and I even received an email about creating church directories from one of my printing companies. What more of a sign could you ask for? In the end, the best I got was a "I'd say we're luke warm about interest in one."

Several of the churches said they had just printed one and others said they wouldn't be doing one for two or three years from now.

Then I tried to get my oil changed. One place in town advertised a $14.99. I thought what the heck, I can't even do it that cheap myself. Tried to get...no luck. You have to make an appointment a day ahead of time. I really needed it changed. I can't predict my day tomorrow, so I had to take it to the SuperLube across the road. Oh, and guess what...it cost $33.98 there.

I came home discouraged and feeling very apathetic. I'm headed up to work on a photo story I've started. Hopefully that pans out a little better.

I'm trying to keep my head up, but today was just a harder than usual one.

4 comments:

Shawn R. said...

When all else fails, just threaten to burn down their buildings!

Unknown said...

Keep your head up, things will start taking off. I wish I had some ideas for you. I found this wierdo do it yourself site with some random thoughts - http://photojojo.com/content/ - probably won't help, but it's worth a shot. Good luck! I told Stephanie via Facebook that if I find myself in need of a wedding photographer I know where to look.

Daniel Williams said...

Thanks Laura, means a lot.

Unknown said...

Danny, sit down. I wanna sing you a little song that, eh, kept me goin' when I had troubles...

We were at the beach...
Everybody had matching towels...
Somebody went under a dock, and there they saw a rock!
But it wasn't a rock..
It was a rock LOB-STERRR!!

(cue cheesy B-52's guitar solo)......rock lob-ster....
*high squeaky woman's voice* rock lob-ster!...
Heheheheeeeh....yeah you're gonna be okay...

In all honesty=)...I think you'll be ok sooner or later, obviously sooner hopefully. One thing I always think of when I get feeling that way is that it could always be worse. You could be homeless in the wake of a hurricane. You could have spent 80-100 grand on an education at EIU to come out with a general history degree. Hell, you could have Brian Mazurski's penis, or man clit, if you will. My point is that it's all peaks and valleys, buddy. Stick it out and before long, everything will be turning up Milhouse! And if by chance that doesn't happen to be the case, I find that Jager/Rumplemintz/Jack, or any combination of those, should make you forget all about your troubles!